To begin I am having technical difficulties, therefore this post won't have any pictures. My laptop has a virus and is in the shop, so I am blogging from a friends that I borrowed for the night.
Yesterday I took the girls to the doctor for their 15 month check-ups. They are a few weeks late but that is due to the clinic rescheduling us. Our pediatrician really surprised me when he began looking at their growth charts. Almost 3 months ago he put the girls on PediaSure. He said it has 30 calories per serving and whole milk only has 20 calories and he is all about fattening them up. Since we have been off the bottle for over a week now, the girls have gone on a drinking strike! Not really, but their close to 24 ounces of PediaSure a day has gone to about 10. I have been told they will get over it and drink again but for now they just aren't happy without the bottle. They also don't like to drink anything but PediaSure. They may take a few gulps of water in the afternoon but that is it. Therefore we haven't gained near the weight I thought we have. I was pretty sure Lexyn was close to 20 pounds because her little gut is pouching out, not fat by any means but she does have a belly she didn't use to have, and the girl LOVES to eat. But my guessing was way off.
Lexyn:
weight: 17 pounds 6.2 ounces
height: 30 & 3/4 inches
Brittyn:
weight: 16 pounds 12.6 ounces
height: 30 inches
The doctor did get a good view of how busy and active the girls are. He did end up saying "they may just be petite little girls." He is sending us to a nutrition and developmental growth clinic at Children's Hospital next week. They see lots of failure to thrive patients. My girls aren't really failure to thrive because they are gaining weight, but our pediatrition said he wants to get their opinion on the girls slow weight gain.
Lexyn was sure to put on a great fit show for him as well.
That is another topic/question. At 15 months old the girls have started throwing 2 year old fits! I am looking for a good recommended book on parenting this age, or any advice you may have of the tricks you used or what age to start different types of discipline. Please pass along the parenting techniques you use.
Back to the appointment, the girls got the first past of the flu shot. It is not the swine flu shot, we have to go back in November for that one. They also drew blood to test their IGA deficiency that they have had since birth. Since the girls aren't drinking much their veins were real hard to find. After the first nurse poked and dug around getting nothing she went to get another nurse who then poked both arms on both girls and dug around before she finally got blood. It was horrible. They were amazed at how strong Lexyn was as she was about to hop off the table, but who isn't strong when they are being tortured with a needle. It took 3 people to hold them down and draw their blood. Not cool at all! We did get good news though, we do not have to hibernate this winter. The doctor said they are doing well, so just to take the normal cold and flu precautions, although due to their IGA deficiency they are susceptible to catch the bugs a lot easier.
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



7 comments:
Poor girls having to go through all that at the dr's. Poor mama!!!! Missed talking to you lately!
Wow... sounds like a stressful appointment for all of you! Be sure and share the discipline info you get from others! I'll be there before I know it!
My older daughter was labeled failure to thrive and still pretty much is. Our pediatrician was going to make us see a nutritionist, but never did and said she's probably just going to be small. I'm still worried about her all the time because she's the size of a two year old right now and she's 3.5. Your girls weight at 15months was just about the same as Cami's was. She's energetic and healthy as a horse though :)
btw. Did you get the bows? I hope you like them :) Do your mom and you have a website for your embroidery stuff?
I know your babies are much older than Micah, but we did the Baby Wise book for her and it did wonders for how content Micah is. She sleeps 12 hours a night and goes to bed on her own. They have a baby wise for toddlers as well. We did everything the first book said to do and Micah started doing everything it said she would right on time. I would at least check it out. Hastings has it.
When Kate was this little and throwing fits, I would turn my back and ignore her, or put her in her crib and walk out. Any attention, good or bad, reinforces fit throwing. She still threw fits, but they got shorter and happened less frequently.
Bless you girl....I am sorry about the weight...we are struggling with Thomas' but not to that extent. Hopefully the clinic will offer suggestions but also words of comfort...your girls look so beautiful, healthy, and strong!!!!
As for the tantrums...we are dealing with those too! I do the "sit her down, ignore" approach. Hard to do but has helped! I am also dealing with both wanting to be held sooo much...being pregnant and preparing for another baby I know I can't get them used to this so I am also using the "ignore" method...again, hard to do but I know it will help in the longrun!!!
Best of luck and health...saying a prayer for you and your girls! You are a great mommy with beautiful healthy girls!!!!
Hey Kristi. Sorry to hear that your laptop is a mess! I missed the pics!
I highly recommend the Love and Logic book. You can start as early as your girls and it is very beneficial getting them ready for school. It basically allows a lot of choices so that when it comes time for your decisions, they are more likely to agree because you have given them so many.
Even with throwing fits, it is something where as soon as they start, you say something like this is not the place to throw a fit. You can throw your fit in ____. (bathroom, car, hall...you pick, but then be consistent). Let them know when they are done, they can rejoin the rest of the people. It really works at this age!
I use it with my five year olds when they start making farting noises to disrupt the class...I tell them that is a bathroom noise. Feel free to go in the bathroom and make that noise all they want... they may be in there for 5 sec. but then they come right out and don't do that noise again. THis allows them to continue (they have a choice) but you have set a limit...the place
I know I am with 5 year olds, but it seems like the book works from the girls age up... check it out! I am a big believer and plan to use this technique when I am a parent!
cant wait to see you in November!!!
Post a Comment