The nurse called this morning letting me know they finally got the results back from the stool culture. Lexyn does indeed have Salmonella. In a way I am relieved to know what she has and not be worrying about finding a diagnosis. Lexyn is also doing lots better. She only had 2 bad diapers yesterday and only 4 on Saturday so I think we are hopefully coming to an end on that part. As far as the Salmonella it is what caused the blood in her stools, and most likely what caused the high fever. The symptoms last for 7 to 10 days (this is day 9) but she will be contagious for a while. The only way it is contagious is through the stool, so washing hands really well after diaper changes and cleaning the changing area is the recommendation for not spreading it. The Salmonella lives in her intestines so she can test positive and be contagious for up to 6 months. They said to keep her hydrated and let her eat whatever she wants to help gain back the half of pound she lost, which is not good when you only weigh 15 pounds and 13 ounces at 14 months old! I am suppose to take a diaper in to be retested when we go for her 15 month check up in September. That will give us an idea of where she stands. We aren't sure where she got it from could be a number of possibilities; eating of restaurant tables, or rawhide dog bones, or touching dirty stuff at stores or restaurants. But we do not ride in shopping carts without our cover on and we do not sit in restaurant high chairs without our covers on so those are not likely.
Since the girls AGG blood count has been real low since birth I have tried to somewhat be a germ freak because they are likely to catch everything, but I try not to be too bad. However, now I will probably be way too bad! I don't want to take any chances of getting this again.
Monday, August 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




2 comments:
I will be praying for a super fast recovery!
Bless her....I know you are so relieved to finally know for sure!!! I pray it leaves and stays gone for good!!!! What an experience this has been....I can ONLY imagine!!! Blessings and rest!!
Post a Comment