Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Our house is a very, very, very sick house

Yesterday was a day for doctor visits in our household. Daddy who has been sick for 4 days went to the doctor. He never goes to the doctor for 2 reasons:
1. he is hardly ever sick, maybe once a year
2. he has to go to the VA hospital because he only has free VA medical care no insurance

After waiting for 4 hours he was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection. They sent him home with a Z-pac and Robitussin, and he slept the rest of the day.

In the meantime, since it is close to impossible to take both girls at once to the doctor, my mom went with me to the pediatrician. I had fought the idea for 2 weeks. Brittyn ran a low grade fever 2 weekends ago and they both had runny/stuffy noses, and a nasty cough but the fever only lasted that one weekend. They have been really fussy for the two weeks but I was just figuring it was a cold. I can never tell if it is ears since they are always messing with their ears now. Well, yesterday the doctor put them both on antibiotics for 10 days. Brittyn has a left ear infection. Because this is her 4th set of ear infections in 4 months she has been referred to the ENT. I was dreading this day. I know all the talk about tubes is good, I am just not ready for it. They have to put her to sleep and that concerns me with a 14 pound and 13.2 ounce 11 month old. We go in June to see him, so we will see what he suggests. I am just hoping this antibiotic clears this ear infection up and she won't have anymore until the winter. Then she will hopefully be bigger and older; then the idea of putting her to sleep won't be so concerning.



Even though they are sick with most likely sinus infection/colds and on antibiotics they were in good moods after their nap yesterday.




Lexyn Faye weighed 15 pounds and 7.4 ounces






Brittyn Lee weighed 14 pounds and 13.2 ounces.


We go for our 1 year check ups on June 12th, and I can see their doctor now saying they need to eat lots more! Brittyn is just not an eater. It is fight at each meal, and although she does like her bottle she still won't take more than 4 and half ounces every 3-5 hours. She is also very active which is not aiding in her weight gain. Lexyn on the other hand, loves to eat but she isn't too far ahead of her sister because she too is now very active.

I guess we can just hope for some hungry appetites between now and then, and then see what his suggestions are for piling on the pounds.

4 comments:

Marva said...

Praying well wishes for all of you. Keep us posted. Blessings!!!

Deadra said...

I have been reading your blog for a while, I enjoy hearing other stay at home moms stories. Anyway, last year we almost had to put tubes in my 10 month olds ears, and I was concerned about putting him to sleep. There are some ENT's who do not put the baby to sleep to put the tubes in, but I'm not sure how they do it. Just thought you might want to look around.

We are the Smith Family said...

Wow....you have your hands full mama!!! Hang in there and don't worry to much...they are healthy and look beautiful!!! The numbers are different for every baby!!!

Shannon C said...

I'm praying for the girls. I hope the infections clear up soon. Jayce had ear infection after ear infection when he was little. The doctor said he would have tubes if he had one more infection, but he never did. As for their appetites, maybe some shakes or some Ensure that is packed with good nutrition. Just a thought.