Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The Brown's Pharmacy

After visiting the doctor today we brought the pharmacy home with us!

The girls have been sick with one thing or another since January. I have taken them in time after time and we keep seeing other doctors. They both have had a horrible cough since last Thursday, so bad at times they can't seem to catch their breath, and their runny noses are still as nasty as ever even after completing an antibiotic last week, and checking Lexyn's temp yesterday to find she was running 101.2; I called in and wanted an appointment with OUR doctor. Not to say the other doctors aren't good, but our doctor just knows our past better and he doesn't seem to use the wait it out trick. I am tired of waiting it out! So we got in with our doctor today; he listened to me, heard my complaints and concerns and then checked the girls over. He says they still have the sinus infection that they were diagnosed with 2 and half weeks ago, and they are having symptoms most likely from horrible allergies. He called in 5 drugs each. They are on Amoxicillin for 10 days to hopefully kick this sinus infection, Prednisiolone (oral steroid) for 4 days, Flovent steriod inhaler 2 puffs twice a day until June, Nasonex 1 squirt in each nostril daily to help with the allergies, and Albuteral inhaler only when needed for the wheezing and coughing attacks when they can't catch their breath. He said we should see great improvement by 2 weeks but if we don't see a good bit of improvement by the beginning of next week we are to go back in. I am so thankful for our doctor who doesn't take things lightly, and for insurance to cover this pharmacy of drugs we had to bring home!

I have heard bad things about steroids, particularly the Flovent inhaler, but I am willing to hold on through the hyperness if it gets us better! But hopefully we won't notice any extra hyperness or fits because we all know my girls don't need any extra help in that area! The girls were a little crazy at dinner tonight but they tend to get that way when we eat out or they are extra tired, and both were the case tonight.

They did get weighed today at the appointment and Lexyn seems to have lost about 6 or 7 ounces, but our doctor isn't concerned. At 21 and a half months old Lexyn weighs 19 pounds and 12.4 ounces; and Brittyn weighs 19 pounds and 2.7 ounce. Maybe by their second birthday they will have broke 20 pounds! They are small petite little girls, nothing wrong with that!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Poor things! I can't imagine sick babies for that length of time! I hope the meds do the trick and they are back to normal soon!

Marva said...

I sure do hope they feel better. We've been there, I tell you girl. Te boys turned 4 Monday. The longest they have went without some type of sickness is the streak we are on. No sickies since Jamuary 1 (almost 3 months). Mason use to have chronic croup and we used the oral steroid a LOT (the predisolone). IT worked wonders for him.

The boys are still on immunity meds, prescription allery med and eye drops, fiber med. and Mason is on reflux meds. We are so blessed though!

They will outgrow it, it just take time. I'll be praying for you, cause I know........been there, done that and hopefully have thrown away the tee shirt! LOL

Hugs and prayers coming your way!

Jen said...

As you know, Faith has been on the same 44mcg FloVent for 2 years and it has never made her hyper.
And I'm so glad to hear the doctor finally treated them with a group of antibiotics.
Is your clinic able to test for further viruses?
Often times clinics {who don't have the appropriate testings} diagnosis 'sinus infections' when they really have something like Paraflu or Metaneumovirus.

That happened with Faith back in February. Her first diagnosis was a sinus infection because our pediatricians office {we live in a big town} isn't able to test for different viruses, but at childrens they can do those testings and she indeed had metaneumovirus.

I hope they get better sooo quickly.
They still look adorable as ever :)

alexis said...

Don't feel too discouraged by their weight. Jadyn is 26 months old and fully clothed weighs 25#. I just checked it. Gracie is 5 and weighs 35 pounds. I have petite girls too and they aren't premature babies! Just to make you feel a little better! =)